Bonnie D. Parkin
Here are some of the things that stood out to me! (My comments are in blue)
Wouldn’t it be easy if we were choosing between visiting teaching or robbing a bank? Instead, our choices are often more subtle. We must choose between many worthy options. I wish that all I had to do was choose not to rob a bank. I could do that!! But it really is a lot harder to choose exactly how to spend my day and how to balance all the responsibilities I have.
We choose daily. Conversion is not the end of our story with the gospel. We must "endure to the end" by choosing DAILY to follow His teachings. This is something I really struggle with, but I'm trying to be better at this. I got out of the habit of reading my scriptures and praying daily awhile ago, and so it's a struggle for me to get back into this the past couple of years. But I'll keep trying!
Charity is our love for the Lord, shown through our acts of service, patience, compassion, and understanding for one another. This really stood out to me. It really ties in with the article yesterday. By loving others and serving others, I'm really showing Christ my dedication to him. Sometimes I don't understand people, but if I can't think of any other reason to be nice, this is a pretty good one, right?
Do we criticize each other for individual choices, thinking we know better, when in fact we rarely understand another’s unique circumstance or individual inspiration? This is so true. I'm definitely critical of others, and it's something I'm working on, but I know that this is true. It is RARE that we actually know EVERYTHING that is going on in someone's life. Choices are a lot more complicated than they appear to be most of the time.
We simply cannot criticize, gossip, or judge and keep the pure love of Christ. I love cut and dry statements like this. I wish I remembered this all the time. Something to work on!!
When we know a sister’s heart, we are different. We won’t judge her. We will simply love her. I have had many opportunities in my life so far to get to know a person's heart, and this statement is so true. I usually don't judge people at all if I know them really well--even if I disagree with them. Because I know that they are good people. I need to work on having this feeling toward everyone!