The Joy of Service-- Russell C. Taylor
“Service is the rent we pay for our own room on earth.” I'm embarrassed to say I have never considered this. But wow--the Lord has given us this beautiful earth, and we really didn't have to do anything to obtain it, except choose His plan. Service really is a great way to pay "rent."
Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do. I especially like that second sentence. I'm always willing to serve others, but do I actually do it? Do I ever offer service to others? Something to think about.
Small Acts of Service--Spencer W. Kimball
When we concern ourselves more with others, there is less time to be concerned with ourselves. This is a really hard transition to make--but the times that I've actually done it, it always turns out to be true.
We become more significant individuals as we serve others. Service really is a great way to improve self-esteem.
Sometimes the solution is not to change our circumstance, but to change our attitude about that circumstance; difficulties are often opportunities for service. This is a really hard thing to master as well. Changing our attitude requires a lot of focus and prayer for sure.
We need to help those we seek to serve to know for themselves that God not only loves them, but he is ever mindful of them and of their needs. I always appreciate it when others make me feel this way, and so I need to be more involved in helping others to feel this.
God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. So, so true.
Called to Serve--Boyd K. Packer
Our baptism is a call to lifelong service to Christ. If I am looking for an official reason to serve others, here it is.
She sees a need and serves; not “Call me if you need help,” but “Here I am; what can I do?” I often say "call me if you need help" and I really mean it, but I see that the second statement is much more proactive!
We must teach our children by example and tell them that an unselfish spirit is essential to happiness. Good heavens. If I can ever by example be an unselfish spirit, I will have arrived.
No calling is more important, no service more enduring, than parenthood. *pats herself on the back* :)