"I just can't understand why you are freaking out about this whole deal. It is not your decision when this whole thing will happen, and I hope that you will figure that out sooner than later. I am not in a race to beat other people to buy a ring, that's not what an engagement is all about! Why can't you just be patient and wait for it to happen when it is supposed to. I understand that it is frustrating for you, but freaking out on me every 3 days about it isn't going to help rush things at all. I am so sick of every body asking me about it and getting mad about it cause it hasn't happened yet. It definitely doesn't motivate me at all to get it done sooner. Just trust that it will happen and that's all you can do, ok. Anyways, those are my thoughts. Enjoy your day!"
As I mentioned before, we were planning on getting married on my birthday in July. My parents had actually already put down a deposit on our reception place, and all, but any further wedding plans were on hold until this was official. I started getting extremely frustrated about it because word had leaked to me through various sources that BK's plan all along was to propose on Valentine's Day--but I knew that he had been extra busy with school and extra poor--and I just wondered if it ever was going to happen.
Valentine's Day came. I got flowers delivered to my dorm room, and for a split second I got really excited that they were from BK and that maybe the proposal was back on somehow and he had just been hiding it from me or something--but then it turned out the flowers were from my parents. Which was nice, too--but not exactly what I was expecting that day.
I got all dressed up and figured I might as well enjoy my Valentine's Day anyway. But unfortunately, since BK had no experience with girls whatsoever (I was his first ever real girlfriend) he didn't know about how in Provo is crazy on V-day weekend and that you have to have a plan far in advance in you want to get into a movie or go to dinner. He didn't have a plan at all, and so we drove around for literally 3 hours trying to find something to do, and mainly something to eat. This just made me more and more upset since I was "supposed to" be getting my ring that day. We finally found somewhere to eat, but I'm pretty sure we weren't exactly on speaking terms at that point. We had about the 50 gazillionth argument about the whole thing after dinner, and then he took me back to his apartment to watch a movie with his friends. We watched "Kate & Leopold." The next day, BK wrote me this note:
He then explained to me that he did have a plan. His cousin was in the jewelry business and could get him a really sweet deal on the ring if he would just wait a couple of weeks. Why BK didn't just tell me that the week before I will never quite understand, but whatever. Two weeks later he drove up to Salt Lake City to pick out my diamond from his cousin, then went to a different place to have it set. I knew the day that he was going to go pick it up from Salt Lake, but I figured after everything I had put him through with the whole thing, he was going to be mean and make me wait. So on that Friday afternoon when he was gone, I went back to my dorm room to watch a movie by myself, trying not to think about what he was up north doing. A few hours later I received a phonecall from BK."I was wondering if you wanted to go out to dinner with me."
Surely he wasn't going to let me off the hook that easy. But he came to pick me up and then proceeded to drive me to one of my favorite restaurants--Olive Garden. I knew this must be a special date because normally BK didn't really have the funds for anything better than Wendy's--so I figured something must be going on.
We had a really great dinner together, and then he drove me back to his apartment and left me in the living room with his roommates. My hopes were shattered. It was just going to be a regular Friday night. But then BK came back out with his coat and a thermos and started making hot chocolate in the kitchen. He announced that we were going on a roadtrip, and drove me by my dorm room to get my coat.
We drove up Provo Canyon to Mt. Timpanogos State Park. We hiked through some snow--and when I say some snow, what I really mean is two feet of snow--it was February, mind you. Somehow we found a dry patch under a tree and sat down to drink our hot chocolate. We talked and laughed about things. I thought for sure this would be where he would pop the question, but it wasn't then either. We started walking back to the car, stopping briefly to look at the stars. There was a beautiful clear sky with millions of stars, up in the mountains, away from all the city lights. We were the only two people around. It couldn't have been a more perfect setting.
The next thing I knew, BK announced that he had a question for me. He got down on one knee in the snow and grabbed my (right) hand. I asked him if he wanted the left hand instead, and he said, "Umm, yeah, sorry--It's not like I've ever done this before, give me a break!"
So then he finally said the words I had been waiting months to hear:
"Amy Lynne F.--will you marry me?"
I squealed something that sounded like "yes" as he slipped on an unexpectedly-heavy object onto my ring finger. I pulled him off his knee and gave him a huge hug and a kiss and told him that I was so proud of him for finally doing it! It was dark outside, so I couldn't see the ring, but when we got back to the car, I immediately flipped on the light and even more immediately fell completely in love with my ring.
We of course went back to his apartment complex to spread the good news, and then I went back to my dorms to find someone to show my ring off to. I found plenty of over-enthused freshman girls to share in my delight. I went to bed that night with a huge smile on my face.
The next morning BK came to get me so that we could go study together. I first called my mom from his apartment to tell her that we could order the dress I had picked out because it was official--I was engaged. She was of course, thrilled that the wedding plans could roll on, and BK and I got our stuff ready to go study.
The phone rang.
It was for BK. When his roommate told him who it was, he took the phone immediately back to his bedroom to take the call. I was extremely puzzled by this.
When he came out, he had a solemn look on his face and said, "Amy, we need to talk. I have some bad news."