Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

May yesterday go down in history as...

THE LAST WIC APPOINTMENT I WILL EVER HAVE.

Hallelujah.


I have actually been very grateful for this extra help while BK's been in school--especially the baby food.  It was also a humbling experience.  During my many appointments, I witnessed people who were in true poverty.  It pained my heart to see those little children who were pretty much born not having a chance.  It was also humbling to be treated rather poorly by judgmental WIC employees, who perhaps misjudged me as a white girl trying to use the system.  While my family has been blessed with a lot in previous years of our togetherness, it was not our state the past couple of years.  While I might have an SUV and an awesome diaper bag and an amazing stroller now, they were all purchased before we had children or were gifted by generous friends and relatives.  I tried to be polite, even when I could tell I was being misjudged, since I was on the receiving end of quite a bit of free food.  But it did make me aware that we should never think we know someone else's situation just by their outward appearance.

I experienced this in another way through WIC as well.   While waiting in the waiting room, my children would usually completely lose their minds.  I was so grateful for the other mothers there who, although unable to speak English, would proactively rock my crying newborn in his infant carrier, while I ran down the hall to retrieve his runaway toddler-brother.  While perhaps, I had misjudged these mothers, based on their outward appearance, they were filled with a helpful compassion that I could only hope to have.

All that aside, I'm just grateful that in a couple of months we will be able to fully pay for our own groceries and start paying back to a tax system who helped us out with grants and free food.  Thanks, taxpayers of America! :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...