Saturday. The best day of the week. Or at least that's what I always hope for, and then it usually gets eaten up by about 39384 small errands and chores, no matter how hard we try to keep that from happening. Oh, well.
Yesterday got up and went to the store to do some birthday party shopping for my mom. We decided on purple, pink, and yellow polka-dot balloons, pink polka-dot napkins, pink plates, and yellow utensils. We also decided that chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream would go fabulously with the cookie cake my dad would be bringing.
Unfortunately while at the store, Landon decided to pitch a mini-fit because I grabbed the sour cream without letting him try to get it first. So he threw himself down on the ground, but the cart had already started moving, and so I accidentally ran over his finger. Oops. And so he spent the last 7 minutes of our time at Walmart wailing at the top of his lungs. And dirty, disgusting Wal-mart shoppers looked at me judgingly. How dare they. Anyway, I didn't really care that Landon was acting that way because I knew the consequence would be not getting to choose a good-boy-at-the-grocery-store treat. I picked out a ring pop for Spencer who was good at the store. Cue Landon wailing again. But oh, well. He'll remember to think about it next time before he throws himself down on the floor in the middle of a grocery store.
This is the thing about four-year-olds: they can be incredibly brilliant and mature and you breathe a sigh of relief thinking, yessssss, we're finally moving on to the next stage! And then they act like a two year old out of nowhere, and you're left thinking "?!?!"
I expected the rest of the day to go horribly since it started off with a discipline issue. But actually Landon did several surprisingly mature things yesterday, too. He accidentally bumped Spencer who fell to the ground, and without me prompting him, he immediately ran back over to him and said, "I'm sorry, Spence! Are you okay??" This happened twice, and I sat there dumbfounded, as this was probably the first time he sincerely apologized to Spence without me having to remind him. So that was good.
My parents came over for the party last night. We had a good time eating and laughing and chatting, as usual. Then we put the boys to bed. BK watched a football game, while I fell asleep. Despite both of the boys staying up past bedtime for two nights in a row, they were both up before 7am this morning. BK took a shift and got up with them, and I slept in for a couple more hours. I woke up to a gloomy, rainy day, which sort of reflects my attitude today as well. But I'm going to try really hard to snap out of it.
However, cooped up, wiggly children will probably not really help my cause, but the youngest squirrel is about to go down for a nap, and the daddy squirrel is going to go work for a couple of hours (will we ever be able to finally pay off our medical bills?!?), and more-than-likely I'll just turn on a movie for the older-brother squirrel and maybe lay in my bed and read my book while the rain beats outside my window for an hour or so. Selfish? Yes. Necessary for today? Absolutely.
No comments:
Post a Comment