I was reminded in a conversation today with a new friend that even if I feel like my life events are menial, that someday I'll enjoy reading them and remembering my life as it is now. I so enjoy reading all the detailed accounts of my boring adventures with Baby Landon because it takes me back to being a new mom and the nervousness and anticipation of it all. I'm sure five years from now, I'll feel the same about my life today.
Today was a preschool day. BK decided to ride with us to drop Landon off, as he didn't have a patient until 9:30am. We drove straight from preschool to Spencer's speech appt at BK's office. Even though his progress is slow, he's talking SO much more than he was 6 months ago. It brightens my life to see his little personality blossom, his shyness fading away. He's growing up, and I'm trying to roll with it, as much as I hate to lose my "baby." We bought him a "big boy bed" the other day, and it felt weird to dismantle the crib without having a "new baby" reason. I stuffed it under the guest bed and said a quick prayer that it wouldn't be too long before I pulled it out again.
But back to today.
After the appointment, I dragged Spencer to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. Then we went to the bank to make a deposit. Then we came home.
We quickly became bored, and I realized it had been at least six months since we had been to the library. And there was a book I heard was good, and I wanted to check it out. So Spencer and I went to the library. He thought pulling out books was fantastic, but he wasn't so much into actually reading them. But he did choose a lovely Blue's Clues book to take home, and he was excited about that.
We had some time before I had a visit scheduled, so I took Spencer to McDonald's where he partook of his very first solo happy meal with no brother to split it with. He had a good time running around with another little boy on the playground, while I dove into my new book.
When it was time to go, we headed to our visit with a new friend. We enjoyed chatting with her and her darling baby girl. Spencer mainly enjoyed terrorizing her daughter and throwing a ball around her house--but luckily did not break anything. We'll have to work on manners. Oh, Spence.
I love having conversations though that really make me think, and this was one of those. I've had a lot of those lately with people, and it's been a huge blessing.
Then it was time to pick up Landon. He wasn't in the greatest of moods when I picked him up. Spence fell asleep on the car ride home, and I put him in his big boy bed as soon as we got home. Landon asked to watch a show. I turned it on, with full intent to not let him waste another lovely afternoon watching TV, but then my baby sister called, and I decided I didn't care, and wanted to catch up with her instead of arguing with him. So we chatted for about two hours. Afterward, we went to pick up BK from work, and we decided last-minute to head to Freebirds for "kids eat free" night. That seemed to perk up Landon. And he started chatting with us about his day.
The boys had a lovely battle over BK's brownie... but ultimately it seemed like they all got a fair share. We headed home, BK bathed them while I sat around doing nothing, and then we took them to their room. We read scriptures, and then BK read the boys a book while I put away their laundry. We said a prayer, and wished them goodnite. They begged us for snuggies--BK gave in this time.
Now they are busy running around their room while BK watches the news, and I sit here and type this. When they're finally asleep, and we can truly relax, we will probably break out our Blue Bell ice cream cartons and turn on a show.
Then we'll go to sleep, and do it all again tomorrow. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment