So on Tuesday, Landon had his first day of preschool.
And it went really well! He has been excited about it alllll summer. We went shopping for new clothes and a backpack and a lunchbox last week--so he was all ready!
We had a minor disagreement about which of his new shoes matched his outfit. I pulled the "mom card" and "won" that one, but he got over it about halfway through the car-ride.
Here's his desk! His teacher is Miss Tammy, and she's absolutely adorable. It makes me feel so much more comfortable leaving him when I know he's in good hands with people who love these kids!
Landon did not cry when I left him. He walked right in and sat down to work on tracing his name. I loaded Spencer back up in the car and we drove off. I must admit I teared up for a few seconds as I pulled out of the parking lot. It wasn't that I was worried about how to live without him every Tuesday and Thursday--because heaven knows going grocery shopping with just one kid had been on my wishlist alllll summer long--but it was more just a quick feeling of "Didn't I just give birth to him, like, yesterday?? This went TOO FAST." I have a feeling that I'll have many more of those Mom Moments in the years to come.
But then I just felt happy--for him and for me. I was happy he is such a well-adjusted kid and that going to pre-school was not some huge dramatic moment in our history together. I can only take partial credit for this, as Landon has probably been ready for preschool since the day he was born. He's such a smart little thing, and so independent. As I thought about all this, I teared up again because I'm just grateful he put up with me infringing on his independence for the four years I have. I completely respect and understand his need to do things on his own and by himself--because I'm the exact same way. It's like looking in a mirror everytime I lay eyes on him--both physically and emotionally. But the "mom" part of me just knows this is the beginning of the end--and while I know learning and being away from home is most definitely what he needs right now, I just miss his spunky little attitude. Well, most of the time anyway.
Spencer was a completely different child with Landon gone. So quiet, playing happily by himself. I'm grateful to have the next couple of years with him to help him prepare to be a "big boy," too. He did miss Landon, though. Every little while he would stop what he was doing and yell "YANDA??" And he was SO happy when we went to pick Landon up, and gave him a big hug.
Landon told me that he had a great first day. He said he didn't have to move his parachute man down a cloud at all and that he got two stickers. He told me he made new friends and that he was kind. His teacher told me he did great. When we got in the car, he quickly exclaimed, "Mom! Preschool is SO FUN. What day do I get to go back?" We worked on his tracing homework when he got home, and he told me all about his day.
I'm so excited to see him learn and grow in new ways this year, while he gets ready for kindergarten. This year he is in school on Tues/Thur from 9-2pm--which seems so long until I consider that next year, he'll be gone EVERY day from 8am-3pm. So I think this will be a good adjustment for him. And for me. :)