Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sleeping Babies

Landon-May 2008

Spencer--April 2010


Sometimes when the kiddos go to bed, all I want to do is curl up on the couch to watch amazing television.  BK is busy-busy studying for the board exam.  And lately, I've actually looked forward to this "alone" time. 

But tonight neither of my boys wanted to fall asleep.  I kept marching Landon back to his room, each time waking up grumpy, teething Spencer.  Landon kept asking me to read a book or sing songs with him.  But I had already done both of those things, and didn't a deserve to watch an episode or 6 of 30 Rock?

The fifth time he came out of his room, he asked me to come in and sing to him.  And for some reason I finally caught some perspective.  As I laid in his tiny bed with him and sang him Primary songs, both of my boys magically settled down.  

Sometimes as a mom I get a little annoyed that I'm the only one on the planet who has this power over Landon and Spencer.  But tonight I was really touched by it.

A tear or 6 ran down my face as I let my mind wander to a time in the not-to-far-future where my boys won't want me to sing to them anymore.  And then I let my mind wander to a time a little bit farther than that where they might be struggling with their testimony.  

And suddenly I wanted their tiny brains filled with memories of me singing songs of Jesus to them and remembering how it brought them comfort. 

My mother and father gave us a TV from their bedroom when they bought a new one.  Landon keenly observed the other day while smelling the vent on the back of the TV (?) that he "smelled Nana."  I smelled the vent, and he was exactly right.  It smelled like my mom's hairspray and perfumes.  And for some reason, it brought a warm comfort over me--even though I had just seen my mom a few days before.

I want my children to know my voice.  And I want them to know my smell.  I want them to feel warm fuzzies when they remember me--even twenty years from now.  

And if that means sacrificing a bit of my "precious" TV time every now and again when they're having trouble settling down--so be it.  

I love them.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...