Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

October 8, 2013

We have a pretty good time--those two and me--while we kick it at home during Landon's school day.  Spencer is...learning to be a good big brother and a good helper, and Owen is of course just a happy, smiley 3 month old, as most 3 month olds are in my experience.

The other day, I got into some argument with Spencer about going potty. (Just give it up already, Spencer!! I WILL end up winning in the end!!) I can't really remember the details, but I think it involved him having an accident right after I asked him if he needed to go potty, and then him having to sit on the potty for awhile. (sidenote: trust me, folks.  We've already been through sticker charts, ice cream treats, earning coins, a gumball machine, and any other positive reinforcement I can think of... He knows how to go potty and he knows he's supposed to AND he refuses to wear diapers or pull-ups... it's time for him to just grow up and do it and quit having accidents--thus, the "harsh" sitting on the potty episode.)

Well, this did not make him very happy. (Well, DUH, why didn't you think of that BEFORE you peed in your undies?!?) He sat in there and cried for awhile, and I regained my composure and then went in to discuss the matter calmly with him.  Through his tears, he told me pitifully, "Mama...you's huwt my feewings!"

I apologized for hurting his "feewings" but told him I needed him to be a big boy like he had done before and just go potty when he needed to, instead of having accidents.  He said, "I didn't mean to, mama.  I pwomise I won't do it!"  (yeah...right.  But I appreciate his in-the-moment sincerity anyway.)

I decided we needed to do something to help him feel successful and loved and worthwhile, since he's been so frustrated with himself about the potty thing.  I asked him if he wanted to watch some of his birthday videos.  He agreed through his sniffles.

We turned on his baby video, and he sat on my lap and watched it.  I talked to him about how awesome he is and told him the stories of all the pictures he asked about.  As I watched it, I teared up with gratitude that I get to be this little guy's mom.  I know that I don't even know the half of his personality yet.  (He is more than the sum of his potty accidents, after all, you know!) I know he has talents that neither of us know yet.  I know he is smart and funny and loves to draw and create things.  But I'm just so excited to see what that all turns into over the next many years.  He's just such a cute little thing.

Off to pick him up from mommy-preschool!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...