Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

October 22, 2013

Right now Landon is at school, and Spencer is at mommy-preschool at a friend's house, and Owen is taking a nap.  Tuesdays are pretty great.  BK usually gets off work early on Tuesdays, too.  Today is Spencer's half-birthday (3 1/2!!), and so I will make him his signature pound cake with his great-grandfather's recipe.  Then we are going to carve pumpkins for the Family Home Evening we were unable to have yesterday. The sun in shining and it's not raining (it's been raining a lot lately) and I just think it's going to be a great day.

Right now my job at church is that I'm in charge of the children's sunday school classes.  (This job is called the Primary President.)  It's been a real challenge mainly just because there are so many classes, and it's hard to stay organized with everything--especially in the midst of running my own family.  But I have learned more with this calling than I have with any other so far. One thing in particular, is that I know the Lord is involved in the details of our lives.  Even the seemingly small ones.

I'm a busy person. (Everyone is.) It's been a disorganized year for our family--with my pregnancy and then having a baby and trying to figure out for the third time what the new "normal" looks like for our little family.  In the midst of that, I have dozens of primary children from church and all of their teachers and leaders that I constantly find on my mind.  When I have a problem to solve, it's hard for me to find the time to really focus clearly on what I need to do to solve it--because naptime is always too short, or my children are too impatient when I make more than one phonecall in a day, or somebody's hungry, and on and on and so forth.  But I have noticed a pattern.  When there's something that is truly, truly important, the Lord helps me know what to do quickly.  I just get impressions and thoughts, and they are clear as day, as if somebody is speaking to me directly, and I know exactly the direction I need to take.  When something can wait a while to be solved, I might not get such a clear answer, and the Lord gives me the opportunity to think about it during my jumbled life and lets me learn lessons about balancing my time and counseling with my counselors and praying and weighing pros and cons.

But sometimes, like I said, He just cuts to the chase and lets me off the hook and tells me what to do.  Because I think He knows I'm doing the best I can with my time that I have.  Last night I had an experience with that.  Since it involves other people and their personal lives, I can't share details here, but last night I was sitting on the couch chatting with BK about my day.  He started dozing off because Mondays are his long days--and so I was left to my own thoughts.  I had a specific thought about an experience I had had with Spencer a few months ago come to my mind for no reason.  Following that sudden change of train of thought, I felt the distinct impression that I was given that experience in life so that I could better relate to parents who had been through something similar.  And then the Spirit told me how this could apply to a specific person I was trying desperately to know how to help.  And it just clicked perfectly.  As if that wasn't enough, two minutes later, my cell phone beeped, indicating that I had a voicemail message.  For some reason it hadn't rang when she had called (probably because it would've interrupted the conversation I was having in my head...haha) but the voicemail message was from the person I had just been thinking about two minutes before. And so I called her back.  The experience with Spencer fit in perfectly to the conversation we were having and it helped us to have a positive conversation about the problem we were trying to figure out.  It was exactly what she needed to hear in that moment.  And I was left feeling extremely grateful that the Lord had given me the answer beforehand for how I needed to handle the situation.  Because He loves me, and He loves her.

I can't even tell you how many times this has happened in the past year.  I have never felt inspiration so strongly in my life, and it has been a powerful lesson to me about how much the Lord really does love His children--the little ones, especially.  He cares about the details of their lives, and so He lets people know through inspiration how best to take care of them. It really is true. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your days. I get anxious just reading about how busy you are though, so I'm glad you're getting the inspiration/help you need to make it through the day. You definitely help to inspire me to be better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...