Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

September 19, 2013

Dearest children of mine,

I should be tending to your every need right this moment, but instead I'm writing you a letter to record what's going on right this moment.  Let's see, where to start... Owen is currently in his swing fussing.  He's been fussy for the past 24 hours, probably because I keep sprinkling crushed red pepper on everything I eat.  So apparently I'll need to give that up for awhile.  Or maybe he's just disagreeable today.  I can't really blame him.

Landon.  I woke up at 6:30am this morning to go to your parent-teacher conference at 7am.  Of course it was all good news.  And actually I really have no complaints about you right now.  You're busy playing super mario brothers on the wii because I've given up for the day.

Spencer.  GOOD HEAVENS.  You chose not to take a nap today, and instead squirreled around in your room.  So right now you're in that super-annoying mode where you're so tired that you're hyper as all get-out.  So charming.  Currently you're harassing the dog and jumping all over the couch even though I've asked you literally FIVE TIMES to stop.  It's only 5:57pm, and I'm wondering how I'm going to make it until 7pm. Instead I'll probably just put you to bed in 3 minutes.

Children, children, children.  Your father has been working late on Mondays and Thursdays. (And recently got a new calling at church with the youth!  Goodbye, Wednesdays, too!)  Because he got an opportunity to make more money.  And life is all about the benjamins.  Well, not really.  But guess what?  It's expensive to have children, as it turns out.  Namely, your hospital bills.  Dearest Owen, you are cute, but you ended up costing us FOUR TIMES the amount in medical bills than we were expecting.  Small oversight in the insurance fine print on our part.  So we gotta pay that off.  So yes, all of you fussy, disobedient children I have, I also had to pay thousands of dollars for... hmmm.

Anyway, I hope you know that I still love you. But just so you know, being a mom is rough sometimes.  I'm a human being, too, with my own needs and wants.  I give those up on a daily basis for you--and sometimes I just need to pitch a mini-fit about it, which is what I'm doing right now.  But in a moment, I'll take a deep breath and tell myself to grow up and quit being selfish and learn to make it to the end of a day without losing it.  And then I'll check on you when you are asleep like little angels, and I'll feel bad for being mad at you because you'll be all innocent and darling curled up with your blankies.  And I'll wake up in the morning and try again because I know that you need me.

But trust me, as soon as you are in bed, there is a half gallon of Happy Tracks Blue Bell Ice Cream with my name written ALL OVER IT.

All my love,
Mom
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...