Yesterday, as I was preparing dinner, I started thinking about some of the parts of my children's personalities that I just don't understand and what I could be doing to solve some of the situations that arise because of them. Just as my mind started to form some sort of complete thought, it vanished, as Spencer walked into the kitchen demanding to help me make dinner. I resolved to continue my train of thought later.
He pulled up a chair and chatted with me while I put some things in the oven. BK got home shortly after that, and we set the table. The missionaries were going to be joining us for dinner, and so we ate at the bigger table in the dining room and tried to make things look presentable for our company.
They arrived promptly at 5:30, and we sat down and enjoyed a meal together. Eventually it was time for them to share a scripture with us and then get back to their work. One of them opened his scriptures and said he felt really prompted to share a specific scripture with us. As he started reading, I immediately started tearing up, as I realized this scripture was a continuation of the thought process I was having earlier. And as he shared his thoughts on the scripture afterward, I realized he was unknowingly giving me the answer to the questions I had asked in my mind before being interrupted by my little helper.
This 19 year old kid knows nothing about my children or what they need. I'm sure he also doesn't really know anything about being a parent yet--let alone a mother--but in his words, I was able to find resolution to something that had been on my mind. I was so thankful that he was so in tune with the Spirit because it helped me to realize that I wasn't alone in my thoughts. The Lord was listening to my concerns and wanted to help me find some answers.
Today after dropping Landon off, we went on a little walk through the neighborhood. We attempted to teach Tucker to walk on a leash, which actually went better than I thought... and then Spencer attempted to remove each and every rock from an empty lot and pack it in our stroller. I somehow convinced him to leave the rocks behind when it was time to go home (phew). It felt good to get out in the sunshine, despite my disgusting cough and Spencer's runny nose (thanks, ALLERGIES.) and the fact that I was winded as soon as we got to the end of our street (thanks, PREGNANCY. May I never be this overweight in my life ever without pregnancy as an excuse.).
And now to get Spencer to take a nap... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment