To say that Landon was better at sleeping in his first year than Spencer was would be a large understatement.
Spencer didn't really start sleeping 12 hour stretches until he was about 12 months old. He woke up every morning sometime between 4 and 6. We (and by we, I mean BK) would get him and bring him into our bed before he woke up his brother. I would nurse him, and try to catch a few more minutes of sleep before BK had to get up and tromp around in the bathroom getting ready for his clinical.
I was exhausted.
(Also a large understatement.)
About 3 days after I weaned Spencer, he started sleeping in until 7:30 or 8 every morning. (Go figure.) I rejoiced in having my (our) bed all to myself again. No more baby rolling around. No more waking up at 4am.
Then we moved, and Landon had an... adjustment to his new room. He came and got in bed with us every morning at 6am. But then, luckily, he grew out of that. He will even wake up and just start playing in the playroom without waking us up sometimes.
And again, I was thrilled at this newfound life of no sleep deprivation.
Spencer wanted nothing to do with anyone else except for me for the first 12 months of his life. Then magically, on Mother's Day, he decided he was madly in love with BK. And this has continued. Spencer... tolerates me during the day, but it's BK he really wants to be with. He somehow convinces my lovely husband to carry him around and play with him anytime he's home. I rejoiced that finally I had my arms free to get things done during the day.
But wouldn't ya know, somehow the rejoicing always wears off. And found myself sometimes wishing that Spencer wanted everything to do with me again. Landon's far too busy to snuggle with me during the day. (unless I tell him that I think snuggies are disgusting.) And Spencer, my baby, is growing up too fast.
But last night, Spencer woke up screaming at 3am. BK went in to check on him, but surprisingly, was unable to console him. He wanted me. (Which is when you know something is really wrong with him.) So I hobbled across the playroom and down the hall to see what he needed. BK hobbled back to bed. And I picked up wide-awake screaming Spencer. I still have no idea why he was screaming, (although top molars seem to be the most likely culprit.) but he was really, really worked up. And I was really, really tired. So I carried him back to our bed.
BK was fast asleep, and so Spencer was unaware he was even there. So he "settled" for cuddling with me until the Ibuprofen kicked in. And I remembered all those mornings I wished for him to be snug and sleeping in his own bed, but I found myself staying awake just so I could enjoy him letting me hold him.
At some point, BK mumbled something in his sleep, and Spencer popped his little head up and IMMEDIATELY rolled over to find him. So I rolled over and went to sleep. But I did notice that I few times, he rolled back over to burrow his little head in my neck.
And while I completely hope he sleeps in his own bed tonight (he is a wiggly, rolly little thing at night) I was glad to have him join us for a few hours last night.
They just grow up WAY too fast.