Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spencer's Two.

Dearest Spence,

You are two today.  When you were born, I thought to myself: I think life will be really great when they're two and four.  They will be able to play together, I will be able to shower, they'll talk and argue instead of pooping and urping all over me... and on and on and so forth.

And now we're here.  And I'm not gonna lie, I'm loving watching the two of you be brothers.  You play with Landon every single day.  And for brothers, I would say you two get along just great.  You make each other laugh in a way I know I'll never be able to.  You especially make Landon laugh, even when he's upset or frustrated.  You are such a blessing to him. You guys look out for each other and honestly care about each other.  You talk and giggle and run around every night after I put you to bed, and when I come to check on you later, you're usually curled up together in Landon's bed fast asleep, two cuddling puppy-brothers.  Just like I had always imagined.

But I'm also glad you still like to be the baby, too.  I miss having a newborn right now--even the pooping and urping.  But you still have those soft, chubby, baby cheeks, and I nibble on them every day.  You let me snuggle you every single day when I put you down for naps.  You come and sit on my lap when we watch a show together.  You're not quite obsessed with being a "big boy" yet, like Landon, and I'm okay with that. I don't know exactly when it was that you became such a toddler--but I'm glad I can still see my little Baby Spence in you still.  (At least until I have another newborn, in which case, you will need to grow up immediately... just kidding... sort of.)

You are the fastest running two year old I have ever met.  You are a small little thing, but so coordinated.  You climb on anything you can get your hands and/or feet on.  You can kick and throw balls with stunning accuracy.  You are a toddler of few words--but I just know that one of these days you'll start talking.  I can't wait to get to know you a little bit better then!

I try to think of our family before you came into it, and I honestly can't remember! You just fit in so well, it seems like you've always been here! You are best of buddies with your dad, and you look just like him.  I like that about you.

Last night I couldn't sleep because I was up with a cough, and your big brother kept trying to sneak into our room, so I read your birth story... remembering that it was about that time of night exactly two years ago that you started to make your way into the world.  I was so, so grateful that I had written that entire story out because there were so many details I had forgotten! But when I read it all, it all came flooding back to me.  I honestly remembered the way I felt when I saw you the first time, when I heard you the first time, and when I held you the first time.  And for a few moments I was there re-living it all--just because a story triggered my memory.  And for those few precious moments, Heavenly Father let me feel that joy and pure happiness of meeting my baby for the first time--nothing else matters.  Then your brother came in for the second time and told me he had a bad dream, and I had to come back to earth to deal with "life" again.

I tell you this so that you maybe understand how glad I am that you came into my life and into our family.  Even though you weren't the first, you are so very special to me and dear to my heart.  And your birth was just as precious to me as your brother's.  I can't believe it's already been two years.  You are great.  And your life is great. And I can't wait to see what lies ahead of us!

I love you with all my heart,

Mom
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...